The number 13 is considered to be extremely unlucky, and with good reason: it’s cursed. Any business, health, or social endeavor that involves the number is practically guaranteed to result in terrible misfortune, usually through an elaborate series of unexpected coincidences. Most hotels don’t even have a thirteenth floor, skipping directly from the twelfth to the fourteenth. Of course, the fourteenth floor is technically the thirteenth, and people who stay in rooms in such places typically have horrible accidents in which they accidentally hang themselves while shaving.
Friday the 13th is seen as a particularly unlucky day, and not just for teenagers having sex at Camp Crystal Lake. Anything that can go wrong will, in fact, do so, and you’re quite likely to lose your wallet, miss your bus, and accidentally stick your hand into a desk drawer filled with rabid badgers. This is after you tumble down the stairs into a barrel full of molasses. Your best bet on such days is probably to just call in sick and spend the afternoon hiding under the covers. Please note that unintentional death by blanket asphyxiation is 30% more likely during this time period.
Some more unspeakable trivia about the Number 13:
– The thirteenth tarot card is Death.
– There are thirteen steps leading up to the gallows.
– Judas was the thirteenth apostle.
– Genghis Khan lived during the thirteenth century
– There are thirteen letters in Edgar Allen Poe’s name.
– The Trickster God Loki crashed a banquet once, becoming the thirteenth guest.
– Thirteen Ghosts is a really, really bad movie.